Mechanical Design Engineer
My client designs robust mechanical, electrical, vertical and horizontal personnel transportation systems for buildings. Joining their practice will open a door full of opportunities, where their people are nurtured and empowered to build their own adventure. They work in partnership and collaboration with many clients, to deliver major sustainable projects within the UK.
There is now a fantastic opportunity for a Mechanical Engineer to join their team.
The successful applicant shall be an experienced Mechanical Building Services Engineer dealing with projects in the Birmingham area. The ideal candidate shall have a proven track record of delivering Mechanical projects from £100,000 to £20M in the following sectors -: Healthcare, Education, Care homes, industrial, retail, commercial, and other public service organisations.
What you will be doing day to day:
- Establishing Client brief either through reference to their specification documents or more likely through visiting sites with their nominated personnel and developing the brief inline with their specific aspirations.
- Working with the Senior Engineers, Associates and where applicable the Project Director to ensure scheme designs are value engineered and adhere to client specifications whilst retaining appropriate levels of operational security and full compliance with all relevant legislation.
- Prepare and review detailed engineering calculations and solutions from inception to completion of schemes utilising our design partners, individual knowledge, site installation and construction personnel.
- Closely coordinate design production between our inhouse design teams, external design companies and the supply chain.
- Liaison with client engineering staff or where applicable their design consultants to ensure designs are approved in accordance with the timescales stipulated within the contract.
- Attend internal and external design reviews and where applicable progress meetings along side Senior Engineers and the Associates working on the schemes.
- Promote innovation and challenge parties involved to ensure cost effectiveness in all design activities.
- Mentor and guide developing engineers within a team.
- A minimum of 7 years’ in a similar role having delivered Mechanical projects from £100k- £20m.
- An industry applicable BEng, BSc or equivalent in a Mechanical Building Services
- Chartered Engineer (or ready and able to progress to Chartered).
- Ability to work independently.
- Commercial and contractual awareness.
- Woking from RIBA stages 0 to 7, (full detailed design).
- Financial control of project budgets including budget costs and pre tender estimates.
- Calculations / Design Compliance
-Domestic Water Design/calculations
-Chilled Water Design/calculations
-Piped Medical Gases Design/Calculations
-Ventilation/Air Conditioning/Comfort Cooling Design/calculations
-Building Management system
-Plant Room Design
-Good understanding and working knowledge with CIBSE, HTM guidelines, Water Byelaws, Building Regulations
- Good understanding of IES, Thermal Modelling, SBEM/ Brukl, EPC, BB101, CIBSE TM22,52,54
- Undertaking site surveys for tender purposes through to project completion and snagging exercises.
- Good understanding and working knowledge of Microsoft 365, 2D / 3D AutoCAD, Revit MEP, Cymap, Bluebeam REVU etc.
- Possess excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills including the ability to liaise and advise staff at all levels.
- Can deliver high quality work with excellent attention to detail.
- Able to work under pressure and meet short deadlines.
- Have a UK full driving licence.
What we are looking for:
- Desire to understand and promote the Company vision, values, and culture.
- Trustworthy and ethical approach, exercising discretion where required.
- Well organised, structured, and professional, with a passion for excellence and a keen eye for detail.
- Ability to prioritise a varied workload and demonstrate good time management to comply with deadlines.
- Commitment to the provision of excellent customer service.
- Experience in a fast paced, national, and multi-site business.
- Excellent communication skills (email/phone/face to face).
What we can offer you:
- Independence with your own projects
- Industry Competitive Salary of £35,000 – £45,000 per annum depending on experience
- Car allowance
- 25 days holiday + statutory bank holidays. This increases annually up to 29 days plus bank holidays.
- Free Parking
- Professional Membership Contribution
- Flexible working / working from home
- Company pension contribution
- Annual Salary / CPD Review