My clients are a remediation and enabling contractor delivering solutions on a diverse range of projects from small fuel spills through to large multi-technology soil and groundwater remediation of brownfield sites. Regular clients include developers, environmental consultants, local authorities and industry. My clients are an equal opportunities employer which prides itself on a high level of customer service and is committed to health & safety.
Role & Requirements
As part of my clients ongoing expansion and confirmed future workload they have identified the requirement for a Remediation Engineer. The main job role is assisting with technical delivery of remediation and enabling projects. Role details are provided on page 2.
Candidates will ideally have 1 – 4 years relevant experience in a related discipline such as site investigation / environmental monitoring / remediation / earthworks / civil or geotechnical engineering / spill response / environmental consultancy / waste. Ideally a significant proportion of this experience will have been spent on-site. Graduates with a related degree are also encouraged to apply.
Knowledge of soil and groundwater sampling, remediation approaches and earthworks practices is desirable, although full training will be provided as required.
A valid driving licence is essential as the role will involve a reasonable amount of travel (van to be provided). Key personal attributes are good communication, a team player, organisation, resolve, flexibility and ambition. Attractive salary and benefits will accompany excellent career development and training opportunities.
The role location will be mixed between sites and office. An element of home working can be included if desired subject to experience and further discussion. Sites will primarily be across the south of England, though will be further afield on occasion, and some overnight stays will be required (expenses covered). My client has offices in Rayleigh Essex and Avonmouth Bristol.
Main Duties (training provided subject to skills and experience):
The main tasks of the role will include but not be limited to the following;
Pre-start organisation & planning of projects:
- Co-ordinating / appointing subcontractors
- Assisting with production of remediation strategies, materials management plans, method statements, risk assessments
- Assisting with obtaining licences, permits and regulatory approvals including compilation of supporting technical information
- Drawings, including some basic use of Autocad (full training provided)
Delivery of projects:
- Working with site personnel to ensure projects are implemented safely
- Monitoring environmental emissions and ensuring control measures are implemented where required
- Direct / supervise site activities such as excavations, drilling etc
- Set up, operate and maintain soil and water treatment systems
- Carrying out verification contamination sampling, scheduling laboratory analysis and assessing results
- Arranging laboratory and site geotechnical / earthworks testing
- Waste classification and managing duty of care for disposal
- Use of GPS equipment to record and set out basic information
- Maintaining and using equipment such as PID, noise meter, CBR probe etc
- Ensure site records are kept up to date (e.g. stockpile registers, validation records, sample location drawings)
- Overseeing material movements and compliance against the project specification and remediation strategy
- Assisting with co-ordinating / appointing subcontractors
- Ongoing liaison with clients representatives or third party verification engineers
- (Dependent on experience, and with progression) Project management duties including commercial, operational, programming tasks
- Compilation of data and drafts for verification / completion reports, health & safety files etc;
- Feedback on project lessons learned, improvements etc
The job includes a salary of £35,000 – £45,000 per annum depending on experience + benefits.