Our clients are a private Partnership where the Partners are practising engineers. Each Partner holds complete responsibility for all projects under their care and personally directs teams of chartered engineers, specialists, engineers, graduates and technicians.
This personal involvement and their ability to quickly respond to customer needs is what sets our clients apart. With over 500 technical staff covering a wide range of disciplines they can swiftly provide local staff with the required skills to meet the engineering needs of any project, regardless of location.
Due to a healthy forward looking workload and continued team growth our clients are looking to recruit a Senior to Principal Engineering Geologist/Geotechnical Engineer in their Westhill office.The successful candidate will hold a key and permanent position in the team and be responsible for continued development of more junior staff, client base and help manage geo-environmental workload across the south.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
A practical and dedicated ‘all-rounder’ is required to manage an already established geotechnical and environmental team comprising of engineering geologists, and geo-environmental and geo-technical engineers.The successful candidate should have strong project management experience, able to lead technical project teams, robust technical abilities and a strong sense of customer service and business development.The candidate would preferably have experience in a range of sectors, including road and rail, industrial, residential, commercial and leisure developments, providing robust, technically sound and cost effective solutions to Clients throughout.
The successful candidate would be expected to have the following abilities and performance expectations:
- Experience in undertaking, scoping and reviewing Preliminary Risk Assessments and Intrusive Ground investigations including understanding of currently available ground investigation, sampling and laboratory analysis techniques;
- An understanding of contaminated land legislation and planning regime to provide allow consideration of geo-environmental ground investigation scoping and generic risk assessment within wider combined site assessments, with the support of geo-environmental specialist staff;
- Interpretative report writing and reviewing including a comprehensive understanding of ground models, geotechnical engineering properties and soil behaviours;
- A thorough understanding in the assessment and detailed design of:
- Slope stability;
- Soil & Rock engineering;
- Ground improvement;
- Ground movement and settlement/subsidence;
- Mineral workings and natural cavities.
- Basement engineering
- Ability to deliver projects and work within a multi-disciplinary consultancy, with awareness of structural, civil and transport capabilities in the wider firm;
- Ability to provide technically sound and commercially focussed proposals and reports based on a clear understanding of clients requirements and value engineering;
- Experience in client facing roles, developing good working relationships with other professionals within wider project teams and an enthusiasm towards business development and marketing.
- A good understanding of brownfield development including risk assessment (GQRA and DQRA), regulatory liaison, remediation design and implementation/verification is preferred although not essential.
Candidates would be expected to be proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office suite.Knowledge of AutoCAD, ArcGIS, RocScience (Slide, RocFall), Oasys (pDisp, Xdisp), Wallap software or similar is expected.
A good degree in Earth Sciences, Geology or Civil Engineering is required.An MSc in Geotechnics or Engineering Geology or a related subject would be beneficial but is not essential.Candidates are expected to be chartered/near chartered.
This role is commutable from: Ellon, Aberdeen and Stonehaven
The salary for this role is £40,000 to £45,000 per annum dependant on experience with excellent benefit programmes available.